I will fake it until I make it!

All about the escapades and thoughts of a girl who thinks WAY too much for her own good!

Saturday, October 31, 2009

24 October: Allora!

I’ve only been in Italy for 2 weeks and I am already sick of the word, allora.

Allora!

My spell check doesn’t even like that word. I can tell by the way it continues to underline it in deep red as if to say, "CAUTION! DO NOT USE THIS WORD! WE DO NOT LIKE IT." And, at this moment, I can relate to my trusty spell check. I don't like it either.

Allora means so, hmmm, or well then  in Italian. Oh, don't expect to see it in the latest version of Rosetta Stone. This is a colloquialism that one has to be in Italy to learn. It’s used many different ways including as a start, middle, filler, and sometimes end of a sentence, if the sentence ends in a question.

Allora doesn't sound too bad right? But now, factor in my very poor understanding of the Italian language and listen to a sentence as I hear it: Allora, blah, blah, blah... Allora, blah, blah, blah. Allora.

Yeah, it gets old after 14 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment